Cleveland Car Accident Lawyers
Helping Victims of Car Accidents in Cleveland, OH
When you are involved in a car accident, the last thing that you are thinking about is what to do next. You may be in pain, disoriented, and just overwhelmed by the situation. At this time, you need a friend who can help you navigate the legal system and fight for your rights. Our team at Murray & Murray is ready to help you. We are committed to providing you with compassionate care and aggressive representation. We can help you obtain compensation for your injuries and losses. Our Cleveland car accident attorneys are ready to fight for you.
Ohio Car Accident Laws
In Ohio, car accident laws are primarily based on the concept of fault. Ohio follows a "fault" or "at-fault" system, meaning that the driver who is found to be responsible for causing the accident is generally held liable for the resulting damages.
Ohio follows a modified comparative negligence rule. This means that if you are partially at fault for the accident, your compensation may be reduced based on your percentage of fault. However, if you are found to be 51% or more at fault, you may be barred from recovering any compensation.
If you are injured in a car accident due to someone else's negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for various damages, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. It's crucial to gather evidence, such as photographs, witness statements, and medical records, to support your claim.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can occur due to various factors, and understanding the common causes is crucial for preventing them. Here are some of the most frequent causes of car accidents:
- Distracted driving: One of the leading causes of car accidents is distracted driving. This includes activities like texting, talking on the phone, eating, using in-car technologies, or even being distracted by passengers.
- Speeding: Driving above the speed limit or too fast for the road conditions reduces the driver's ability to react to unexpected situations and increases the severity of accidents.
- Drunk driving: Alcohol or drug impairment can significantly impair a driver's judgment, coordination, and reaction times, leading to a higher risk of accidents.
- Reckless driving: Engaging in aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, ignoring traffic signals, or disregarding the rules of the road can cause accidents.
- Weather conditions: Poor weather conditions like rain, snow, ice, fog, or strong winds can make the roads slippery and reduce visibility, increasing the likelihood of accidents.
- Fatigue: Drowsy driving can impair a driver's attention, reaction times, and decision-making abilities. Falling asleep at the wheel is extremely dangerous and can lead to catastrophic accidents.
- Failure to obey traffic laws: Running red lights, stop signs, or failing to yield the right of way are common causes of accidents. Ignoring traffic laws can lead to collisions with other vehicles or pedestrians.
- Tailgating: Following another vehicle too closely reduces the time available to react to sudden stops or changes in traffic, increasing the chances of a rear-end collision.
- Mechanical failures: Faulty brakes, tire blowouts, steering issues, or other mechanical failures can cause drivers to lose control of their vehicles and lead to accidents.
- Poor road conditions: Roads in disrepair, potholes, lack of proper signage, or inadequate road design can contribute to accidents.
- Inexperienced drivers: Drivers who lack experience or have recently obtained their license may be more prone to making errors or misjudging situations on the road.
What to Do After a Car Accident
When you are involved in a car accident, the last thing that you are thinking about is what to do next. You may be in pain, disoriented, and just overwhelmed by the situation. At this time, you need a friend who can help you navigate the legal system and fight for your rights. Our team at Murray & Murray is ready to help you. We are committed to providing you with compassionate care and aggressive representation. We can help you obtain compensation for your injuries and losses.